Washington, D.C. – The Monumental Sports & Entertainment Foundation (MSEF) proudly reflects on a holiday season filled with impactful community support and charitable giving in Washington, D.C. Embracing the spirit of giving, MSEF contributed more than $65,000 to vital programs throughout the region in support of team led campaigns by the Washington Capitals and Washington Wizards.
This extensive outreach by MSEF underscored its commitment to making a difference in the DMV. These initiatives supported hundreds of local families, providing them with essential holiday resources and infusing joy into the lives of numerous children and adults.
“We were thrilled to have the opportunity this holiday season to extend our support to those in need and to work alongside organizations like Bread for the City and Martha’s Table,” shared Ted Leonsis, Founder, Chairman, Principal Partner, and CEO, Monumental Sports & Entertainment. “Our contributions and activities reflect our dedication to positively impacting our community and exemplify our ongoing commitment as a force for good.”
Highlights of the Season’s Activities
- Bread for the City’s Holiday Helping: MSEF generously donated $10,000, aiding the program in providing Thanksgiving meals to thousands of families. This contribution ensured approximately 150 families enjoyed a festive meal.
- Monumental Basketball’s Thankful Meal: The donation of $25,000 in Giant gift cards played a crucial role in distributing holiday meals to numerous families, enhancing the community’s festive spirit.
- Washington Wizards MedStar Health Hospital Visits: In collaboration with MedStar Health, the Washington Wizards brought holiday cheer to patients, visiting MedStar Washington Hospital Center and MedStar National Rehabilitation Hospital. They distributed 150 gift cards, Wizards merchandise, and branded mini-basketballs.
- Caps Holiday Shopping: Players and coaches’ significant others shopped for 10 families from The Salvation Army National Capital Area Command, providing a range of items including clothing, toys, and electronics.
- Salvation Army at Caps Game: MSEF is hosting three families from The Salvation Army National Capital Area Command in a suite at the Capitals game on December 23, complete with dinner, a visit from Slapshot, and the presentation of their gifts.
- Wizards Holiday Shopping: Wizards players, coaches, and staff shopped for families from Martha’s Table, The Salvation Army National Capital Area Command, and Eagle Academy Public Charter School, providing a wide array of wish list items.
- Capital City Go-Go Holiday Shopping: The Capital City Go-Go shopped for families from Martha’s Table and Eagle Academy Public Charter School, and hosted them at a game where the families received their presents.
- MSE Staff Contribution: Staff members shopped for two families from The Salvation Army National Capital Area Command, selecting personalized gifts for each family.
- Washington Wizards MLK Elementary School Visit: Wizards members, including the mascot G-Wiz, visited the school to distribute scooters, basketballs, footballs, art kits, board games, and Wizards-branded mini-basketballs to all 4th and 5th graders, along with Amazon gift cards and merchandise for the teachers.
About Monumental Sports & Entertainment Foundation
MSE Foundation is committed to making the region a better place for all by supporting game-changing solutions for our community. We fundraise, provide grants to nonprofits and rally Monumental Sports & Entertainment’s teams and fans to support and amplify the impact of community change agents. Together, we’re raising the game in the DMV. Learn more at: www.monumentalfoundation.org .